Motorcycle fairings are essential for riders to cut the air drag on their bike, thereby being able to achieve faster acceleration at lower rpm and hence at lower fuel consumption. However, the motorcycle fairings also shoulder the responsibility of defining your style as a rider.
Being such an integral accessory for your bike, being able to repair, restore or renew your bike’s fairings is one of the key skills you need to have as a serious rider. Not the least of them is to be able to paint your motorcycle fairings like a pro.
Steps On How To Paint Your Motorcycle Fairings Like A Pro
How to Measure Wheelbase? Things You Need to Know
8 Easy Methods: How To Remove A Stripped Nut
To be able to attain your desired style at an impulse, knowing how to paint motorcycle fairing is quite essential. You don’t really need to be a great painter but you do need to be able to follow the right steps and take the necessary precautions. Indeed, you would find painting your motorcycle fairings an endearing and rewarding experience.
Be it a sports bike, a cruiser bike, a dirt bike or any other variety, motorcycle fairings grace all kinds of bikes and most the riders today prefer working on their bikes in their garages to acquire the self-accustomed look and performance of their bikes. In view of the growing trend, the below steps on “how to paint motorcycle fairings like a pro” would be highly beneficial to the modern riders.
Painting your motorcycle fairings is no rocket science and does not require you to have great painting skills. However, it still is not something you should undertake frivolously, it would be advisable to reflect and plan in advance exactly the kind of result you want to achieve at the end of it. If you have a special design or color mix in mind, plan and practice it beforehand to give yourself the best chance of achieving the desired result.
Most importantly, have the time on hand and keep the articles you are going to need, handy for the painting of your bike’s fairings.
How Much Time Do You Need?
Dissembling all the fairings you want to paint, the entire painting procedure, reassembling the parts and the waiting period before you can start riding the motorcycle again; all in all requires roughly 2 days to complete. So when you are planning to undertake this exercise, make sure you are not in a rush, and the bike and you both are available to carry out the operation with all the attention and detailing it deserves.
Which Are Items Needed?
Precautions Before Painting Motorcycle Fairing
Before you start with the process of the painting your motorcycle fairings, ensure that the below basic but essential precautions are taken:
Mark out a small dedicated area where you could do the painting of the fairings. Keep the floor covered with a piece of cloth to ensure that your floor is not protected from spilling paint, etc.
If you are keeping the windscreen on before painting, remember to tape over from both sides completely to keep it protected.
Ensure that the Fairings are in prime condition and is not scratched or dented
Plug the holes in the windscreen or the mounting brackets to ensure they don’t get accidentally filled with paint
How To Paint Motorcycle Fairings
Step 1 - Cleaning The Parts
The first step is to make sure that all the parts which we need to work on are in the condition of perfect use, and no other work needs to be done on them. Remove all the parts of the bike that you intend to paint. Cover the motorcycle with a cover so that it is not just standing there exposed to all kinds of elements (like projectile paint jets) during the entire period of painting. Wash all parts of the fairings using warm water and some soap to ensure they are clean.
Step 2 - Sanding The Fairings
Sanding the fairings thoroughly is an important part of the job. Sanding helps in making the surface of the fairings consistent and smooth to which the primer and the paint will adhere best. With the support of the 400 grit sandpaper, start sand the surface of the fairings. The best way is to go about it, is to sand in circular motions applying a moderate pressure on the surface.
Step 3 - Priming The Surface
Primer is used to make the paint stick to the surface of the fairings and give the truest texture. It is important to spray the primer in a smooth, consistent layer across the surface of the fairings. A Plastic primer can easily be bought in an aerosol spray can and is fairly easy to apply. Spray along in even strokes and avoid stopping on a paint stroke so that it does not leave a patch due to a build up. Give the primer around 3-6 hours to dry before moving to the next step.
Step 4 - First Coat Of Base Color
After the Primer is dried up, spray a thin layer of the base color over the primer. Once you have covered the entire surface of the fairing with the base color, you will be able to see if there are any irregularities or bumps on the surface of the fairings. If there are bumps or dents, then you must work on them at this stage, before moving on. Give the color about 6 hours to dry before wet sanding.
Step 5 - Wet Sand Over The Color
Wet sanding the surface is a great way to ensure a perfectly smooth texture. Wet sanding is similar to dry sanding except that this time you should squirt some water to the area you are sanding. For wet sanding use the 1,000-grit sandpaper for a thorough run. Once you have completed, ensure that all the water and particles are removed from the surface of the fairings.
Step 6 - Base Color Coating
The base color is best coated on automotive parts in 4 - 5 layers, in a technique known as the Grip coats. This essentially means that you will start coating with the thinnest layer and progressively make each layer thicker than the earlier one. The grip coats technique ensures a professional look to the paint as it allows each layer to grip the preceding layer. Apply each coat of the base color after 3 hours, to help the color to dry. Once all the coats have been applied, give it another 6 to 8 hours to dry before proceeding to the next step.
Step 7 - Apply The Lacquer Coat
A Lacquer coat helps to protect your paint job from weather extremities that the bike will be exposed to. Apply the clear laquer to the fairings in 2 to 3 layers and allow 2 hours between each coat. Once you have finished with applying all the layers, give it yet 24 hours to dry and compose before taking the bike out for a ride.
To read a little more in detail about Painting the Motorcycle Fairings, go here.
Bestseller No. 1
Specialist Paints Harley Davidson - Vivid Black - 20ml (0.68 oz) - Touch up Pen and Brush
- HARLEY DAVIDSON - VIVID BLACK - 20ml (0.68 oz) - Touch up Pen and Brush
- Ideal for stone chips and scratches!! Many Automotive and Motorcycle colors available
- Custom Paints also provides this listing in 12oz Aerosols, Pints & Quarts (available for purchase in our Amazon store).
- Colors will dry to a dull finish and will require a Clear coat
- Custom Paints Inc have been Manufacturing Premium Custom Coatings for over 15 Years.
SaleBestseller No. 4
USC Spray Max 2k High Gloss Clearcoat Aerosol (2 PACK)
- 2 component aerosol clearcoat that is easy to apply, flows smooth and dries to a long lasting, high gloss finish
- Easy to use aerosol. Activate, shake and spray. Unique nozzle delivers spray gun results
- Dries to a high gloss finish. Excellent weather and chemical resistance
- Pot life: 48 hours at 68 degree fahrenheit ambient temperature
- Manufacture date on can
Bestseller No. 7
Waterproof Scratch Repair pen Removing Clear Pen for Cars Trucks Motorcycles Boats Scratch Remover Applicator Practical Tool (black)
- New generation Car Scratch Repair Remover Pen.A must item for car lovers and drivers.it will Save lots of money for you to repair small scratches . Excellent design for clearing coat and auto scratch repair. permanent, water resistant.Portable. easy to use .
- Instructions: 1.Clean the scratch area before use 2.Remove the wax of the scratch area 3.Remove the iron rust 4.Shake the pen about 10~40 times before using 5.Please use in sunny days to ensure product effectiveness
- Note: 1.Please don’t touch it with your skin directly. 2.If Accidentally get into your eyes. Please wash your eyes with plenty of water and go to the doctor immediately. 3.Keep it Away from children and fire. 4.Keep it upward after use. 5.Easy to dry, please tighten the cap after use the pen
- Specifications: External Material: Plastic Capacity: 12ml Repair area: 0.08square meter
- Package Included: 1 x Car Professional Paint Pen with instruction
Bestseller No. 9
Paint by Numbers for Kids & Adults & Beginner, DIY Canvas Painting Gift Kits 16 x 20 inch- American Flag and Retro Motorcycle - Without Frame Motorcycle Lovers, Patriotic People
- The Package Included-1 pc pre-printed textured art canvas (without framed) , 1 set acrylic paints and 4pcs high quality painting brushes，2 hooks, one thumbnail.
- EASY TO DO-Just match the paint color number to the printed number on the canvas board then filled in. No need to blend the paint, easy to follow the instruction that was on our nice package.or you can avoid using the numbers all together and paint according to your preference and what you see on the canvas in front of you. The goal is to take pleasure in painting. Let the artist within you express themselves
- YOUR ART-Free your creativity through the calmness that art brings with this Sooyinpaint Paint by Numbers for Adults and create a beautiful masterpiece you can proudly present to your family and friends.Start your artistic journey today!
- Intense Decoration-Paint by numbers for adults beginner is highly preferred as beautifying items because of their heartwarming influence,so our paint by numbers kit is a perfect item for decorating home, apartment, office, hotel, restaurant and any other place
- Gift Choice-Do you often been troubled that you don’t know which gift should be choosed? This is a pretty choice as a gift for Christmas, Thanksgiving Day, New Year , Birthday or other important days
Bestseller No. 10
Dupli-Color EBUN01007 Universal Gloss Black Perfect Match Automotive Paint - 8 oz. Aerosol
- AUTOMOTIVE SPRAY PAINT – Dupli-Color Perfect Match Automotive Spray Paint is a high-quality, fast-drying, acrylic lacquer vehicle paint that is specially formulated to match the exact color of the original factory-applied coating.
- FIND THE PERFECT MATCH – Dupli-Color vehicle color matching paint codes are tied directly to the color codes on your car ID tag/sticker. For Nissan vehicles, you can typically find it on the driver’s door jamb.
- EASY TO USE – Featuring an EZ Touch 360° Fan Spray Nozzle, this SUV, truck or car paint is easy to use and ensures maximum coverage. It’s dry to the touch in 30 minutes and can be handled in 1 hour.
- IDEAL USES – Ideal for use on all OEM paint surfaces, this Dupli-Color spray paint is great for larger vehicle touch-ups and for color matching vehicle trim and accessories.
- DUPLI-COLOR – Since 1938, Dupli-Color has been the trusted brand leader in providing easy-to-use, innovative, and exact color matched products to restore, restyle and protect vehicle appearance.
Bestseller No. 12
Diy Oil Painting Paint By Number Kit For Adult Kids - Painted, Road Motorcycle,16X20 Inch
- Includes a 16" x 20" canvas, 3 brushes and 1 set of high quality colors.
- At the time of purchase, you can choose a framed or frameless digital painting according to your preferences.
- Design your digital set for kids and adults to make the most of your inner creativity and fun!
- Enjoy quality time with your family and combine on a stunning piece of art! Our DIY digital set is the perfect indoor event for the entire family!
- Our painted DIY painting kit, our digital painting kit is easy to use, has quality colors and brushes, and is rolled up!
Bestseller No. 13
25g Blue to Purple Chameleon Paint Powder - Color Shift Paint Pigment - Non Toxic Includes 8 oz Mixing Cup
- USE IN: ✓ Automotive Paint ✓ Clear Powder Coat ✓ Epoxy and Resins ✓ Nail Polish ✓ Faux Finish glaze ✓ Cosmetic Colors ✓ Fiberglass ✓ Polyurethane ✓ Varnish ✓ Lacquer ✓ Concrete Sealer
- ✓ Plastic Resins ✓ Soap ✓ Embossing ✓ Screen Printing ✓ Table-Top Epoxies ✓ Leather Polish ✓ Leather Paint ✓ Water Based Clears ✓ Cerakote
- USE ON: ✓ Cars ✓ Boats ✓ Motorcycles ✓ Furniture ✓ Your Body ✓ Exterior and Interior Walls ✓ Cloth ✓ Leather ✓ Wood ✓ Millions of other uses
- 1 25 gram bag treats 1-2 quarts of clear. 400º F temperature threshold in a non toxic powder form.
- Automotive Grade. Great also for Cosmetics. Can be used on Home Trim and Awnings as well!
SaleBestseller No. 14
VHT ESP903007 Satin Black Engine Case Paint Can - 11 oz.
- Engine case paint is a satin finish high temperature coating
- Developed specifically for 2 and 4 stroke motorcycle engine cases
- Careful preparation is essential to insure proper adhesion and curing
- VHT engine case paint dries to the touch in 30 minutes
- This item is not for sale in Catalina Island
SaleBestseller No. 15
Meguiar's MC20206 Motorcycle Liquid Wax Wet Look, 6 Fluid Ounces
- Motorcycle liquid wax removes surface contaminants and blemishes that dull your finish, leaving a brilliant shine and deep gloss
- Easy-to-use wax is the versatile way to clean, polish and protect your bike’s paint finish in one step
- Safe and effective on all chrome, body work and glossy paints including clear coats
- This wax effectively removes fine scratches and swirl marks from your motorcycle’s finish
- Easy to apply and wipe off for a gleaming bike that’s ready to hit the road
Bestseller No. 16
Car Touch Up Paint Pearl White Pen Auto Scratch Remover 070 Pen Auto Scratch Repair Kit for Deep Scratches Trucks Motorcycles Boat Cars Scratch Repair Easy Repair (For Toyota HIGHLANDER, Pearl White)
- ACCURATE: the paint has been calibrated by specific vehicle type such as Toyota camry , highlander etc, the color code is 1G3 , You can choose the right color you need through the color code to Avoid color difference as much as possible .
- WIDLY USED: This paint can be used on metal and plastic , no matter the scratches are on the door or The front/back bumper of the car . or rucks Motorcycles Boat . i even use it to repair the scratches on my fridge, and it works great.
- DURABLE: The paint can dry within 15 minutes at room temperature,then it will be waterproof , dustproof , and stay Stable at 200 ℃(392°F) , and it does not change color or fade in the long-term use ,it can protect your car body from rust,heat,sun,dust .etc , Extend the service life of vehicle components and improve the stability
- EASY USED: No professional equipment required, you can use this pen to repair the scratches area directly . save you lots of time and money. And this pen is valid for four years ,so if you don’t used it up, you can turn lid tightly and safe it .It can be used many times in the future
- After-sale service: if there is any quality problems about the products or you are not satified with the product , just leave me a message through Amazon , we will send you full refund or resend you a new one . please feel free to contact us , we will be very happy to help .
Bestseller No. 17
Specialist Paints Candy Paint Ruby Red - Gallon
- 15 Candy Colors Available
- Best applied over a Silver basecoat. Using other Base metallics colors will give you custom shade of Candy color.
- All colors are reduced 2-1 with Reducer.
- All Colors will Require a 2K Clear Coat. Try our 2K Show Clear for the ultimate finish.
- Custom Paints Inc have been Manufacturing Premium Custom Coatings for over 15 Years.
Bestseller No. 18
Self-Healing Clear Paint Protection Bra—Universal Motorcycle Kit
- We Only Offer High Quality Self-Healing Paint Protection Bra
- Helps Protect Motorcycle Gas Tank From Scratches
- Easy To Install (Installation Video and Squeegee Included)
- Virtually Invisible, 8mill material
- 17in x 7in (43.18cm x 17.78cm). Email us if you have customization requests
SaleBestseller No. 19
PJ1 16-ENG Gloss Black Engine Spray Paint (Aerosol), 12 oz
- PJ1 Fast Black 500F Gloss Black Engine & Case Paint was developed for all 2-stroke and 4-stroke motorcycle engine cases, cylinders and heads
- PJ1 Gloss Black Engine & Case Paint applies easily in a one step process and provides a smooth factory-like durable finish
- PJ1 Gloss Black Engine & Case Paint resists chipping and scratching. Dirt and mud wash right off with soap and water
- Cures with the normal heat of operation
Enjoy The Newness
Painting the Motorcycle fairings protects the surface of the bike from all kinds of weather or terrain adversities. When done properly, your paint should protect the fairings be it fiberglass or the ABS plastics, from the UV rays which can weaken the fairings over time.
However, the painting of the fairings is not all about protection and utility. An important aspect is its aesthetic elevation. The ultimate evaluation of the paint job is how it looks to you and if it is able to reflect your riding personality.
For a little more idea and inspiration about how to paint motorcycle fairing, watch this video.
Let us know what you think in the comments below. Feel free to share this article to anyone who has the same question as you.