Motorcycle fairings are essential for riders to cut the air drag on their bike, thereby being able to achieve faster acceleration at lower rpm and hence at lower fuel consumption. However, the motorcycle fairings also shoulder the responsibility of defining your style as a rider.
Being such an integral accessory for your bike, being able to repair, restore or renew your bike’s fairings is one of the key skills you need to have as a serious rider. Not the least of them is to be able to paint your motorcycle fairings like a pro.
Steps On How To Paint Your Motorcycle Fairings Like A Pro
How to Measure Wheelbase? Things You Need to Know
8 Easy Methods: How To Remove A Stripped Nut
To be able to attain your desired style at an impulse, knowing how to paint motorcycle fairing is quite essential. You don’t really need to be a great painter but you do need to be able to follow the right steps and take the necessary precautions. Indeed, you would find painting your motorcycle fairings an endearing and rewarding experience.
Be it a sports bike, a cruiser bike, a dirt bike or any other variety, motorcycle fairings grace all kinds of bikes and most the riders today prefer working on their bikes in their garages to acquire the self-accustomed look and performance of their bikes. In view of the growing trend, the below steps on “how to paint motorcycle fairings like a pro” would be highly beneficial to the modern riders.
Painting your motorcycle fairings is no rocket science and does not require you to have great painting skills. However, it still is not something you should undertake frivolously, it would be advisable to reflect and plan in advance exactly the kind of result you want to achieve at the end of it. If you have a special design or color mix in mind, plan and practice it beforehand to give yourself the best chance of achieving the desired result.
Most importantly, have the time on hand and keep the articles you are going to need, handy for the painting of your bike’s fairings.
How Much Time Do You Need?
Dissembling all the fairings you want to paint, the entire painting procedure, reassembling the parts and the waiting period before you can start riding the motorcycle again; all in all requires roughly 2 days to complete. So when you are planning to undertake this exercise, make sure you are not in a rush, and the bike and you both are available to carry out the operation with all the attention and detailing it deserves.
Which Are Items Needed?
Precautions Before Painting Motorcycle Fairing
Before you start with the process of the painting your motorcycle fairings, ensure that the below basic but essential precautions are taken:
Mark out a small dedicated area where you could do the painting of the fairings. Keep the floor covered with a piece of cloth to ensure that your floor is not protected from spilling paint, etc.
If you are keeping the windscreen on before painting, remember to tape over from both sides completely to keep it protected.
Ensure that the Fairings are in prime condition and is not scratched or dented
Plug the holes in the windscreen or the mounting brackets to ensure they don’t get accidentally filled with paint
How To Paint Motorcycle Fairings
Step 1 - Cleaning The Parts
The first step is to make sure that all the parts which we need to work on are in the condition of perfect use, and no other work needs to be done on them. Remove all the parts of the bike that you intend to paint. Cover the motorcycle with a cover so that it is not just standing there exposed to all kinds of elements (like projectile paint jets) during the entire period of painting. Wash all parts of the fairings using warm water and some soap to ensure they are clean.
Step 2 - Sanding The Fairings
Sanding the fairings thoroughly is an important part of the job. Sanding helps in making the surface of the fairings consistent and smooth to which the primer and the paint will adhere best. With the support of the 400 grit sandpaper, start sand the surface of the fairings. The best way is to go about it, is to sand in circular motions applying a moderate pressure on the surface.
Step 3 - Priming The Surface
Primer is used to make the paint stick to the surface of the fairings and give the truest texture. It is important to spray the primer in a smooth, consistent layer across the surface of the fairings. A Plastic primer can easily be bought in an aerosol spray can and is fairly easy to apply. Spray along in even strokes and avoid stopping on a paint stroke so that it does not leave a patch due to a build up. Give the primer around 3-6 hours to dry before moving to the next step.
Step 4 - First Coat Of Base Color
After the Primer is dried up, spray a thin layer of the base color over the primer. Once you have covered the entire surface of the fairing with the base color, you will be able to see if there are any irregularities or bumps on the surface of the fairings. If there are bumps or dents, then you must work on them at this stage, before moving on. Give the color about 6 hours to dry before wet sanding.
Step 5 - Wet Sand Over The Color
Wet sanding the surface is a great way to ensure a perfectly smooth texture. Wet sanding is similar to dry sanding except that this time you should squirt some water to the area you are sanding. For wet sanding use the 1,000-grit sandpaper for a thorough run. Once you have completed, ensure that all the water and particles are removed from the surface of the fairings.
Step 6 - Base Color Coating
The base color is best coated on automotive parts in 4 - 5 layers, in a technique known as the Grip coats. This essentially means that you will start coating with the thinnest layer and progressively make each layer thicker than the earlier one. The grip coats technique ensures a professional look to the paint as it allows each layer to grip the preceding layer. Apply each coat of the base color after 3 hours, to help the color to dry. Once all the coats have been applied, give it another 6 to 8 hours to dry before proceeding to the next step.
Step 7 - Apply The Lacquer Coat
A Lacquer coat helps to protect your paint job from weather extremities that the bike will be exposed to. Apply the clear laquer to the fairings in 2 to 3 layers and allow 2 hours between each coat. Once you have finished with applying all the layers, give it yet 24 hours to dry and compose before taking the bike out for a ride.
To read a little more in detail about Painting the Motorcycle Fairings, go here.
Bestseller No. 1
Dupli-Color MC201 Metalcast Automotive Spray Paint - Blue Anodized Coating - 11 oz Aerosol Can
- AUTOMOTIVE PAINT – Dupli-Color Metalcast Anodized Spray Paint turns ordinary chrome pieces into a bright, transparent-colored metallic finish in an easy one-step process.
- HIGH HEAT RESISTANT– This high gloss, blue vehicle paint is known for its durability. Dupli-Color’s Metalcast paint is oil, gas, and heat resistance up to 500°F intermittently.
- EASY TO USE – Featuring a EZ Touch Fan Spray Nozzle, this high heat car paint is easy to use and ensures maximum coverage on chrome automotive accessories. It’s dry to the touch in 30 minutes and can be handled in 1 hour.
- IDEAL USES – Ideal for interior, exterior, and high-heat applications under-the-hood in cars, trucks, ATV, UTV’s and more. This Dupli-Color spray paint is specially formulated to work over properly prepared shiny, bare metal, and faux chrome-like surfaces.
- DUPLI-COLOR – Since 1938, Dupli-Color has been the trusted brand leader in providing easy-to-use, innovative, products to restore, restyle and protect vehicle appearance.
Bestseller No. 5
PJ1 16-GLS Gloss Black Epoxy Spray Paint (Aerosol), 12 oz
- PJ1 Fast Black Epoxy Paint provides a high gloss, porcelain-hard finish for all motorcycle frames and other metal components that require a factory-like durable finish
- PJ1 Gloss Clear Epoxy Paint is easy to apply and is both chip and scratch resistant
- Guards against rust and corrosion
- Dirt and mud wash right off with soap and water
Bestseller No. 7
25g Blue to Purple Chameleon Paint Powder - Color Shift Paint Pigment - Non Toxic Includes 8 oz Mixing Cup
- USE IN: ✓ Automotive Paint ✓ Clear Powder Coat ✓ Epoxy and Resins ✓ Nail Polish ✓ Faux Finish glaze ✓ Cosmetic Colors ✓ Fiberglass ✓ Polyurethane ✓ Varnish ✓ Lacquer ✓ Concrete Sealer
- ✓ Plastic Resins ✓ Soap ✓ Embossing ✓ Screen Printing ✓ Table-Top Epoxies ✓ Leather Polish ✓ Leather Paint ✓ Water Based Clears ✓ Cerakote
- USE ON: ✓ Cars ✓ Boats ✓ Motorcycles ✓ Furniture ✓ Your Body ✓ Exterior and Interior Walls ✓ Cloth ✓ Leather ✓ Wood ✓ Millions of other uses
- 1 25 gram bag treats 1-2 quarts of clear. 400º F temperature threshold in a non toxic powder form.
- Automotive Grade. Great also for Cosmetics. Can be used on Home Trim and Awnings as well!
SaleBestseller No. 8
VHT ESP903007 Satin Black Engine Case Paint Can - 11 oz.
- Engine case paint is a satin finish high temperature coating
- Developed specifically for 2 and 4 stroke motorcycle engine cases
- Careful preparation is essential to insure proper adhesion and curing
- VHT engine case paint dries to the touch in 30 minutes
- This item is not for sale in Catalina Island
Bestseller No. 9
Nasiol NL272 Ultimate Scratch Defender,10H Paint Protection with 5-Year Durable Anti-Scratch, Nano Ceramic Coating Sealant for Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, and Aircrafts, Car Detailing
- ✅ Thanks to its improved durability, it effectively protects your vehicle's paintwork against scratches for up to 5 years (LIFELONG if boosted with Nasiol MetalCoat F2 once a year). In addition, thanks to its water repellent and dirt and stain prevention feature, your car's paint will get dirty much more difficult.
- ✅ High Definition Reflection (HDR) gives your car's paintwork a crystal shiny appearance and a distinctive silky feeling.
- ✅ Thanks to its improved formula, it provides 10H pencil hardness scratch resistance. Your car's paint looks as smooth as the first day.
- ✅ Thanks to its high hydrophobic properties, it prevents water and liquid stains from contaminating your vehicle, has resistance to chemicals and UV protection.
- ✅ All application accessories are included in the product box. You can apply ceramic coating and paint protection to your vehicle without purchasing any extra accessories.
Bestseller No. 10
SONGVEN Waterproof Scratch Repair pen Removing Clear Pen for Cars Trucks Motorcycles Boats Scratch Remover Applicator Practical Tool (black)
- New generation Car Scratch Repair Remover Pen.A must item for car lovers and drivers.it will Save lots of money for you to repair small scratches . Excellent design for clearing coat and auto scratch repair. permanent, water resistant.Portable. easy to use .
- Instructions: 1.Clean the scratch area before use 2.Remove the wax of the scratch area 3.Remove the iron rust 4.Shake the pen about 10~40 times before using 5.Please use in sunny days to ensure product effectiveness
- Note: 1.Please don’t touch it with your skin directly. 2.If Accidentally get into your eyes. Please wash your eyes with plenty of water and go to the doctor immediately. 3.Keep it Away from children and fire. 4.Keep it upward after use. 5.Easy to dry, please tighten the cap after use the pen
- Specifications: External Material: Plastic Capacity: 12ml Repair area: 0.08square meter
- Package Included: 1 x Car Professional Paint Pen with instruction
Bestseller No. 11
Dr. Beasley's Matte Paint Prescription Detailing Kit with Accessories Included, Designed for Matte Cars and Motorcycles, 100% VOC Free, 2 Years of Protection
- Specifically formulated for use on matte paint
- Includes Matte Body Wash, Matte Paint Cleanser, Matte Paint Sealant, Matte Final Finish
- no fillers, no waxes, no silicones, and, most importantly, no shine
- Kit also includes: 2 foam applicators, 2 microfiber towels, wash bucket, Grit Guard insert, and 2 wash pads.
Bestseller No. 12
PJ1 16-ENG Gloss Black Engine Spray Paint (Aerosol), 12 oz
- PJ1 Fast Black 500F Gloss Black Engine & Case Paint was developed for all 2-stroke and 4-stroke motorcycle engine cases, cylinders and heads
- PJ1 Gloss Black Engine & Case Paint applies easily in a one step process and provides a smooth factory-like durable finish
- PJ1 Gloss Black Engine & Case Paint resists chipping and scratching. Dirt and mud wash right off with soap and water
- Cures with the normal heat of operation
Bestseller No. 13
VHT SP906 Satin Black Barrel Spray Paint Can - 11 oz.
- Engine barrel paint is a gloss finish high temperature coating
- Developed specifically for 2 and 4 stroke motorcycle engine barrels
- Specifically formulated to restore motorcycle engines to their factory original appearance
- Petrol and solvent resistant and virtually stops rust and corrosion
- This item is not for sale in Catalina Island
Bestseller No. 14
310 Cremation Urn Blk Live to Ride Motorcycle Tank
- oversized capacity 500 cu.in.- large enough to serve as a companion urn
- made in USA! light weight but made of strong fiberglass
- No Plate Offered!!
- It is large enough to hold two people easily (500 cu. in.), but is used mostly for one person.
- It is made of two pieces of fiberglass and sealed with a high grade silicone making it water tight.
Bestseller No. 16
5D DIY Diamond Painting Full Drill Cross Stitch Kit Diamond Painting Number Kits Embroidery Art for Adults Red Motorcycle 15.7x11.8in 1 Pack by Toyvip
- FULL DRILL: The surface of the diamond has 26 square sections that looks shiny and will be never fade,full drill diamond dotz to make your diamond art more artistic
- ECO-FRIENDLY CANVAS: The 5D diamond is high clear printing oil canvas, non-toxic and tasteless, waterproof, environmental protected, not easy to fold，will be never fade.The finished project can be kept for more than 20 years and is ideal for decorating your living room or bedroom
- EASY TO USE: DIY diamond painting is suitable for various people. It can bring you a sense of achievement, help you reduce stress and adjust emotions
- UNIQUE DECOR: After completing the project and framing the picture, you can fix it on the wall as a stylish and unique ornamentation
- SATISFACTION GUARANTEE: If you are not 100% satisfied with your diamond painting kits,our exceptional customer service team is with you every step of the way.You've got nothing to risk - just give it a try
Bestseller No. 18
Car Touch Up Paint Pearl White Pen Auto Scratch Remover 070 Pen Auto Scratch Repair Kit for Deep Scratches Trucks Motorcycles Boat Cars Scratch Repair Easy Repair (For Toyota HIGHLANDER, Pearl White)
- ACCURATE: the paint has been calibrated by specific vehicle type such as Toyota camry , highlander etc, the color code is 1G3 , You can choose the right color you need through the color code to Avoid color difference as much as possible .
- WIDLY USED: This paint can be used on metal and plastic , no matter the scratches are on the door or The front/back bumper of the car . or rucks Motorcycles Boat . i even use it to repair the scratches on my fridge, and it works great.
- DURABLE: The paint can dry within 15 minutes at room temperature,then it will be waterproof , dustproof , and stay Stable at 200 ℃(392°F) , and it does not change color or fade in the long-term use ,it can protect your car body from rust,heat,sun,dust .etc , Extend the service life of vehicle components and improve the stability
- EASY USED: No professional equipment required, you can use this pen to repair the scratches area directly . save you lots of time and money. And this pen is valid for four years ,so if you don’t used it up, you can turn lid tightly and safe it .It can be used many times in the future
- After-sale service: if there is any quality problems about the products or you are not satified with the product , just leave me a message through Amazon , we will send you full refund or resend you a new one . please feel free to contact us , we will be very happy to help .
Bestseller No. 19
VAIIEYO Diamond Painting Kit for Adults Motorcycle, Diamond Art Racing Car, Full Drill Round Rhinestone Craft Canvas for Home Wall Decor 12x16 inch
- High quality - The diamond painting kits is made with eco-friendly and high clear printed canvas, which is waterproof, has good texture, and is not easy to fold. 5D painted diamond is made of resin, with a unique luster, glittering, and never fading. Diamond art can be maintained for a long time.
- Exquisite & stylish wall decor - The most popular DIY home fashion decorations. Diamond painting kits can be framed and hung, perfect to decorate your living room, bedroom, office, restaurant, bar, or anywhere you want to match different decorations styles. Your gem art masterpiece will light up any room. What can be more satisfying than decorating your home with your own art diamond art kits?
- Relax your stress, add fun to life - The full drill DIY diamond painting can experience a sense of achievement, learn to reduce stress, emotional adjustment, enhance self-confidence and perseverance cultivate patience, add more fun to life. Diamond art for adults is simple and easy to understand, which can increase potential abilities and enhance their color and aesthetics understanding, also allowing you to enjoy the DIY experience of making your own artwork with your family.
- Perfect gift - DIY diamond painting kit is a perfect gift for New Year, Christmas, birthdays, and various festivals. They will be pleased when the painting art vivifies their house. The handmade diamond dotz is not only a great idea for cross-stitch, embroider craft lovers, art beginners, but also a wonderful gift for family and friends.
- Leisurely creation - You will receive diamonds in 20 colors, a numbered sticky canvas, and complete diamond painting tools, including a pink pointed diamond pen, cube diamond tray, diamond painting wax. These drills can easily stick diamonds on the canvas; the number symbols on the canvas are clear and easy to read, which makes the production process without any problems.
Bestseller No. 20
House of Kolor 4Oz 18 Color Kit Ready-to-Spray Kandy Basecoat Paint
- 4 Oz. Bottle - Ready To Spray (Kk) Kandy Koncentrate
- Mixed With Sg100 & Reduced 2:1 With Ru311 Medium Reducer To Be Airbrush Or Spray Gun Ready
- Create A Truly Exotic Color By Adding Koncentrate To One Of Our Standard Kandy Colors Giving You Ultimate Creative Control!
- Perfect For Motorcycles Or Small Parts When Speed Is A Factor
- Great To Use For Touch-Ups And Blending
Enjoy The Newness
Painting the Motorcycle fairings protects the surface of the bike from all kinds of weather or terrain adversities. When done properly, your paint should protect the fairings be it fiberglass or the ABS plastics, from the UV rays which can weaken the fairings over time.
However, the painting of the fairings is not all about protection and utility. An important aspect is its aesthetic elevation. The ultimate evaluation of the paint job is how it looks to you and if it is able to reflect your riding personality.
For a little more idea and inspiration about how to paint motorcycle fairing, watch this video.
Let us know what you think in the comments below. Feel free to share this article to anyone who has the same question as you.