Motorcycle fairings are essential for riders to cut the air drag on their bike, thereby being able to achieve faster acceleration at lower rpm and hence at lower fuel consumption. However, the motorcycle fairings also shoulder the responsibility of defining your style as a rider.
Being such an integral accessory for your bike, being able to repair, restore or renew your bike’s fairings is one of the key skills you need to have as a serious rider. Not the least of them is to be able to paint your motorcycle fairings like a pro.
Steps On How To Paint Your Motorcycle Fairings Like A Pro
How to Measure Wheelbase? Things You Need to Know
8 Easy Methods: How To Remove A Stripped Nut
To be able to attain your desired style at an impulse, knowing how to paint motorcycle fairing is quite essential. You don’t really need to be a great painter but you do need to be able to follow the right steps and take the necessary precautions. Indeed, you would find painting your motorcycle fairings an endearing and rewarding experience.
Be it a sports bike, a cruiser bike, a dirt bike or any other variety, motorcycle fairings grace all kinds of bikes and most the riders today prefer working on their bikes in their garages to acquire the self-accustomed look and performance of their bikes. In view of the growing trend, the below steps on “how to paint motorcycle fairings like a pro” would be highly beneficial to the modern riders.
Painting your motorcycle fairings is no rocket science and does not require you to have great painting skills. However, it still is not something you should undertake frivolously, it would be advisable to reflect and plan in advance exactly the kind of result you want to achieve at the end of it. If you have a special design or color mix in mind, plan and practice it beforehand to give yourself the best chance of achieving the desired result.
Most importantly, have the time on hand and keep the articles you are going to need, handy for the painting of your bike’s fairings.
How Much Time Do You Need?
Dissembling all the fairings you want to paint, the entire painting procedure, reassembling the parts and the waiting period before you can start riding the motorcycle again; all in all requires roughly 2 days to complete. So when you are planning to undertake this exercise, make sure you are not in a rush, and the bike and you both are available to carry out the operation with all the attention and detailing it deserves.
Which Are Items Needed?
Precautions Before Painting Motorcycle Fairing
Before you start with the process of the painting your motorcycle fairings, ensure that the below basic but essential precautions are taken:
Mark out a small dedicated area where you could do the painting of the fairings. Keep the floor covered with a piece of cloth to ensure that your floor is not protected from spilling paint, etc.
If you are keeping the windscreen on before painting, remember to tape over from both sides completely to keep it protected.
Ensure that the Fairings are in prime condition and is not scratched or dented
Plug the holes in the windscreen or the mounting brackets to ensure they don’t get accidentally filled with paint
How To Paint Motorcycle Fairings
Step 1 - Cleaning The Parts
The first step is to make sure that all the parts which we need to work on are in the condition of perfect use, and no other work needs to be done on them. Remove all the parts of the bike that you intend to paint. Cover the motorcycle with a cover so that it is not just standing there exposed to all kinds of elements (like projectile paint jets) during the entire period of painting. Wash all parts of the fairings using warm water and some soap to ensure they are clean.
Step 2 - Sanding The Fairings
Sanding the fairings thoroughly is an important part of the job. Sanding helps in making the surface of the fairings consistent and smooth to which the primer and the paint will adhere best. With the support of the 400 grit sandpaper, start sand the surface of the fairings. The best way is to go about it, is to sand in circular motions applying a moderate pressure on the surface.
Step 3 - Priming The Surface
Primer is used to make the paint stick to the surface of the fairings and give the truest texture. It is important to spray the primer in a smooth, consistent layer across the surface of the fairings. A Plastic primer can easily be bought in an aerosol spray can and is fairly easy to apply. Spray along in even strokes and avoid stopping on a paint stroke so that it does not leave a patch due to a build up. Give the primer around 3-6 hours to dry before moving to the next step.
Step 4 - First Coat Of Base Color
After the Primer is dried up, spray a thin layer of the base color over the primer. Once you have covered the entire surface of the fairing with the base color, you will be able to see if there are any irregularities or bumps on the surface of the fairings. If there are bumps or dents, then you must work on them at this stage, before moving on. Give the color about 6 hours to dry before wet sanding.
Step 5 - Wet Sand Over The Color
Wet sanding the surface is a great way to ensure a perfectly smooth texture. Wet sanding is similar to dry sanding except that this time you should squirt some water to the area you are sanding. For wet sanding use the 1,000-grit sandpaper for a thorough run. Once you have completed, ensure that all the water and particles are removed from the surface of the fairings.
Step 6 - Base Color Coating
The base color is best coated on automotive parts in 4 - 5 layers, in a technique known as the Grip coats. This essentially means that you will start coating with the thinnest layer and progressively make each layer thicker than the earlier one. The grip coats technique ensures a professional look to the paint as it allows each layer to grip the preceding layer. Apply each coat of the base color after 3 hours, to help the color to dry. Once all the coats have been applied, give it another 6 to 8 hours to dry before proceeding to the next step.
Step 7 - Apply The Lacquer Coat
A Lacquer coat helps to protect your paint job from weather extremities that the bike will be exposed to. Apply the clear laquer to the fairings in 2 to 3 layers and allow 2 hours between each coat. Once you have finished with applying all the layers, give it yet 24 hours to dry and compose before taking the bike out for a ride.
To read a little more in detail about Painting the Motorcycle Fairings, go here.
Bestseller No. 1
PJ1 16-HIT Flat Black Hi-Temp Spray Paint (Aerosol), 12 oz
- PJ1 Fast Black Hi-Temp Exhaust System Paint was originally formulated for NASA for use on reentry spacecraft
- As a silica-ceramic hybrid, it moves with the metal as it heats/expands and cools/contracts to give it durability
- PJ1 Flat Black Exhaust Paint forms a protective shield against rust and corrosion
- Resists chipping and scratching
- Temperature Tolerance: Withstands up to 1500F
SaleBestseller No. 3
PJ1 16-GLS Gloss Black Epoxy Spray Paint (Aerosol), 12 oz
- PJ1 Fast Black Epoxy Paint provides a high gloss, porcelain-hard finish for all motorcycle frames and other metal components that require a factory-like durable finish
- PJ1 Gloss Clear Epoxy Paint is easy to apply and is both chip and scratch resistant
- Guards against rust and corrosion
- Dirt and mud wash right off with soap and water
Bestseller No. 4
CycleMagic Motorcycle Clean and Shine Motorcycle Cleaner & Conditioner, Chrome Cleaner, Leather Cleaner, Paint | Eliminates Grime, Brake Cleaner, Dirt & Debris (32oz Spray Bottle (Save 25%))
- "SAFE ON ALL BIKE SURFACES: From wheels to chrome to leather seats, CycleMagic Motorcycle Clean and Shine can expertly clean and condition every nook and cranny of your bike. Clean the toughest surfaces as well as the most delicate ones with this versatile enzymatic all purpose cleaner. "
- "A COMPLETE CLEANING: CycleMagic Motorcycle Clean and Shine is an all-around cleaner that can be used as bike degreaser, brake dust, and road grime. Cleans and removes virtually any type of grime on any type of surface. It keeps you riding smooth by removing anything that can affect the performance of your bike. "
- SAVE TIME AND ENERGY: The CycleMagic Motorcycle Clean can be used as tire cleaner and shine it is perfect for car cleaning supplies that makes cleaning convenient and effortless with its fast-acting and easy-to-use formula. Clean effortlessly by following the simple three-step formula: spray on, let sit, and wipe!
- "POWERFUL NATURAL ENZYMES: This product uses natural enzymes and plant-based surfactants as cleaning agents for your bike. Our fume-free enzyme formula gives gentle but powerful clean, without the use of harsh chemicals that can be found in other cleaners. "
- MADE IN THE USA: CycleMagic is a small, family owned-and-operated company based in Colorado. We make our products at home in the USA. We believe in providing an exceptional cleaning experience for our customers by providing high-quality, safe products. No matter what your auto cleaning needs are, CycleMagic has the product for you!
Bestseller No. 5
Waterproof Scratch Repair pen Removing Clear Pen for Cars Trucks Motorcycles Boats Scratch Remover Applicator Practical Tool (black)
- New generation Car Scratch Repair Remover Pen.A must item for car lovers and drivers.it will Save lots of money for you to repair small scratches . Excellent design for clearing coat and auto scratch repair. permanent, water resistant.Portable. easy to use .
- Instructions: 1.Clean the scratch area before use 2.Remove the wax of the scratch area 3.Remove the iron rust 4.Shake the pen about 10~40 times before using 5.Please use in sunny days to ensure product effectiveness
- Note: 1.Please don’t touch it with your skin directly. 2.If Accidentally get into your eyes. Please wash your eyes with plenty of water and go to the doctor immediately. 3.Keep it Away from children and fire. 4.Keep it upward after use. 5.Easy to dry, please tighten the cap after use the pen
- Specifications: External Material: Plastic Capacity: 12ml Repair area: 0.08square meter
- Package Included: 1 x Car Professional Paint Pen with instruction
SaleBestseller No. 6
Black Reflective Tape Motorcycle Helmet Stickers 5x30. Made With 3M Reflective Tape. Vinyl Reflective Stickers for Trailers, Cars, Bikes, Rims. Waterproof Reflective Vinyl Roll by Bright Knight Decals
- DURABILITY TO LAST FOR YEARS. Made with high quality 7mil (0.007") 3M Reflective Vinyl. It has a manufacturer's 7 year outdoor rating and is strong enough to use on vehicles. Perfect for bicycles and reflective motorcycle stickers and decals.
- REFLECTS WHITE LIGHT AT NIGHT ON DARK SURFACES. This black reflective decal sticker looks normal during the day but will reflect white light at night to keep you safe without sacrificing aesthetics on your helmet, motorcycles, trucks or atv.
- EASY TO CLEAN. This reflective tape roll is a strong reflective vinyl permanent adhesive that will hold up through car washes while remaining waterproof, but can be removed by applying heat. Use on a wide variety of vehicles, trailer, or accessories.
- EASY TO INSTALL. EASY TO CUT. With the ease of peel and stick you simply just peel the paper backing and adhere the adhesive backed vinyl to any smooth surface. Easily cut and shape your reflective tape with scissors or any other cutting tool.
- OUR PROMISE TO YOU. We're so confident that you'll love the look and durability of Bright Knight Decals 5"x30" inch vinyl reflective tape that we stand behind each and every purchase. If there is any problem, for any reason, we'll make it right.
SaleBestseller No. 8
USC Spray Max 2k High Gloss Clearcoat Aerosol (2 PACK)
- 2 component aerosol clearcoat that is easy to apply, flows smooth and dries to a long lasting, high gloss finish
- Easy to use aerosol. Activate, shake and spray. Unique nozzle delivers spray gun results
- Dries to a high gloss finish. Excellent weather and chemical resistance
- Pot life: 48 hours at 68 degree fahrenheit ambient temperature
- Manufacture date on can
Bestseller No. 9
STAR BRITE Ultimate Matte Finish - 22 OZ (098122)
- Specifically formulated to enhance matte, denim, flat, satin and other non-glossy finishes
- Protective polymers bond to treated surface to help repel dirt and UV damage
- Removes road grime, dirt, greasy smudges, bug debris and more
- Safe for all metal, plastic, wrapped and painted surfaces
- Ideal for tanks, bags, pipes and helmets
Bestseller No. 10
PJ1 16-SAT Satin Black Black Satin Engine Spray Paint (Aerosol), 11 oz
- PJ1 Fast Black 500F Satin Black Engine & Case Paint was developed for all 2-stroke and 4-stroke motorcycle engine cases, cylinders and heads
- PJ1 Satin Black Engine & Case Paint applies easily in a one step process and provides a smooth factory-like durable finish
- PJ1 Satin Black Engine & Case Paint resists chipping and scratching. Dirt and mud wash right off with soap and water
- Cures with the normal heat of operation
- Withstands up to 500F, solvent resistant when cured
SaleBestseller No. 11
PJ1 16-ENG Gloss Black Engine Spray Paint (Aerosol), 12 oz
- PJ1 Fast Black 500F Gloss Black Engine & Case Paint was developed for all 2-stroke and 4-stroke motorcycle engine cases, cylinders and heads
- PJ1 Gloss Black Engine & Case Paint applies easily in a one step process and provides a smooth factory-like durable finish
- PJ1 Gloss Black Engine & Case Paint resists chipping and scratching. Dirt and mud wash right off with soap and water
- Cures with the normal heat of operation
Bestseller No. 12
Paint by Numbers for Adults DIY Oil Painting Acrylic Pigment Canvas Kit for Kids Beginner Skeleton Motorcycle Indoor Wall Decoration Gifts Arts and Crafts 16x20 inch（Without Framed）
- Paint by numbers - Painting by Numbers kit included 1pc pre-printed textured canvas (without framed), 1 set acrylic pigment, 3pcs brushes. Painting canvas size: 16x20 inch/40x50cm.
- DIY OIL PAINTING - Want to feel like an artist? This DIY oil number painting kit will assist you in achieving your artistic dreams easily! Perfect for both adults and kids. It's a great addition to your home room wall decor.
- Relaxing and Joyful - Our DIY oil painting kit is a prefect choice to relax yourself. You can fully enjoy the pleasure of painting, relax your mind, release your pressure and cultivate your patience in the process of drawing. It is also a good way to enhance relationship if you paint together with others.
- Unique Gift - Paint by number is a perfect gift for parents, lovers, friends, children on birthday, weddings, parties, Christmas etc. Makes for an excellent choice as a unique gift–even the elder would love it.
- After-sales service - If the product has any quality problems, we will refund in full. You can contact us if you have any questions, and we will do our best to answer you.If the pigment is insufficient in your use, we will replenish the pigment for you.
Bestseller No. 13
WIZARDS – Wipe Down Spray – Matte Paint Detailer Spray - Professional Automotive Detailing (22 oz.)
- CLEANS MATTE FINISHES & NO WATER SPOTS: The Wipe Down spray quickly removes smudges, oily fingerprints and dust from suede, denim, satin primer, and matte powder coat. Wipe Down matte finish cleaner can be used as a spot wash dust remover on all paints.
- SAFE FOR ALL PAINT & NO SHINE: This cleaner spray is great for removing oily residue, streaking or smears when car detailing. This automotive detailer spray will not add gloss or develop shiny spots on flat paint. Many car detailing products can add gloss to matte finish but this spray will not.
- WHAT MAKES US WIZARDS: We strive to develop the best vehicle cleaners and detailing tools since 1986: we formulate, blend, and package our own products. Our products are made only with high-quality ingredients and have no acids, abrasives, silicones, waxes, or damaging sodium chloride.
- WHAT CUSTOMERS ARE SAYING: Customers have shared that the Wipe Down Spray is an amazing product that cleansed up their matte black bike without any issues. (November 2021)
- FOR MAXIMUM RESULTS: This spray wax will go a long way so you can expect to wipe down shine and protect your average size car. For best results use our Bug Release and Tire & Vinyl Shine Spray.
Bestseller No. 15
VHT ESP903007 Satin Black Engine Case Paint Can - 11 oz.
- Engine case paint is a satin finish high temperature coating
- Developed specifically for 2 and 4 stroke motorcycle engine cases
- Careful preparation is essential to insure proper adhesion and curing
- VHT engine case paint dries to the touch in 30 minutes
- This item is not for sale in Catalina Island
Bestseller No. 17
Diy Oil Painting Paint By Number Kit For Adult Kids - Painted, Road Motorcycle,16X20 Inch
- Includes a 16" x 20" canvas, 3 brushes and 1 set of high quality colors.
- At the time of purchase, you can choose a framed or frameless digital painting according to your preferences.
- Design your digital set for kids and adults to make the most of your inner creativity and fun!
- Enjoy quality time with your family and combine on a stunning piece of art! Our DIY digital set is the perfect indoor event for the entire family!
- Our painted DIY painting kit, our digital painting kit is easy to use, has quality colors and brushes, and is rolled up!
Bestseller No. 19
Adam's Iron Remover (16oz) - Iron Out Fallout Rust Remover Spray for Car Detailing | Remove Iron Particles in Car Paint, Motorcycle, RV & Boat | Use Before Clay Bar, Car Wax or Car Wash
- ✅ NEW IMPROVED FORMULATION RELEASED JUNE 2019 - Adam’s Iron Remover is a special product that has the chemical ability to help remove Iron(III)oxide particles from your vehicle’s paintwork without the need to do so mechanically. When Adam’s Iron Remover hits your paint, it loosens up these particles and allows you to easily and safely rinse them off.
- ✅ PROTECT AND REMOVE HARMFUL FALLOUT - Bonded iron can embed itself into the surface and cause harm to your vehicle’s fragile finish. When using a clay bar to cleanse your paint, you’re only removing the surface deposits and not the after-effects or below-surface deposits. Iron Remover targets those unwanted items.
- ✅ SAFE ON ALL PAINTED SURFACES, INCLUDING WHEELS - Simply rinse your vehicle down and spray Adam’s Iron Remover to any painted surfaces, whether ceramic coated or not, and watch as your paint “bleeds” purple and removes the harmful iron deposits from your finish. Avoid using it on your trim & metallic surfaces.
- ✅ REDUCED SCENT, ACID-FREE, AND RICH ORANGE COLOR - Many iron cleansers on the market contain an ingredient that can be putrid after repeated use, but Adam’s Iron Remover is a pH neutral formula that is safe on clear coat and single stage paint. This improved formula activates quicker on contact and will not stain your trim like our old formula. However, you still need to minimize overspray and avoid it on your exterior plastic, trim and metallic parts.
- ✅ 110% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE AND USA MADE - At Adam’s, we strive to bring the BEST iron deposit remover, detailing kits, waxes, sealants, ceramic coatings, car accessories, microfiber towels, and top of line cleaning products to our customers. If you don’t agree, let us know and we’ll do everything we can to make it right!
Bestseller No. 20
Car Touch Up Paint Pearl White Pen Auto Scratch Remover 070 Pen Auto Scratch Repair Kit for Deep Scratches Trucks Motorcycles Boat Cars Scratch Repair Easy Repair (For Toyota HIGHLANDER, Pearl White)
- ACCURATE: the paint has been calibrated by specific vehicle type such as Toyota camry , highlander etc, the color code is 1G3 , You can choose the right color you need through the color code to Avoid color difference as much as possible .
- WIDLY USED: This paint can be used on metal and plastic , no matter the scratches are on the door or The front/back bumper of the car . or rucks Motorcycles Boat . i even use it to repair the scratches on my fridge, and it works great.
- DURABLE: The paint can dry within 15 minutes at room temperature,then it will be waterproof , dustproof , and stay Stable at 200 ℃(392°F) , and it does not change color or fade in the long-term use ,it can protect your car body from rust,heat,sun,dust .etc , Extend the service life of vehicle components and improve the stability
- EASY USED: No professional equipment required, you can use this pen to repair the scratches area directly . save you lots of time and money. And this pen is valid for four years ,so if you don’t used it up, you can turn lid tightly and safe it .It can be used many times in the future
- After-sale service: if there is any quality problems about the products or you are not satified with the product , just leave me a message through Amazon , we will send you full refund or resend you a new one . please feel free to contact us , we will be very happy to help .
Enjoy The Newness
Painting the Motorcycle fairings protects the surface of the bike from all kinds of weather or terrain adversities. When done properly, your paint should protect the fairings be it fiberglass or the ABS plastics, from the UV rays which can weaken the fairings over time.
However, the painting of the fairings is not all about protection and utility. An important aspect is its aesthetic elevation. The ultimate evaluation of the paint job is how it looks to you and if it is able to reflect your riding personality.
For a little more idea and inspiration about how to paint motorcycle fairing, watch this video.
Let us know what you think in the comments below. Feel free to share this article to anyone who has the same question as you.