Learning the functions of CDI box could be a lot easier. In fact, you are not required to be a professional one just to know about its functions. There are just important things you need to know about.
What Is CDI Box?
A CDI or capacitor discharge ignition that is found on most bikes is linked to the ignition where it mainly stores the electrical charge. It is responsible for increasing the spark’s power in the spark plug. CDI box can be found only on vehicles that are based on the gasoline engine. It was originally developed in order to overcome the long charging times, which are associated with the high inductance coils mainly utilized in IDI system or inductive discharge ignition, thus making the ignition even more suitable especially for the high engine speeds.
What Does A CDI Box Do?
SaleBestseller No. 5
6 Pin CDI Ignition Coil Aluminum alloy Racing CDI Box for Motorcycle 125cc 150cc 200cc 250cc Pit Bike Scooter ATV
- Fitment: Compatible for most 125cc 150cc 200cc 250cc maintenance bikes, scooter ATV 6-pin CDI.
- Motorcycle aftermarket accessories: The racing CDI can increase the ignition energy intensity for easy start-up and smooth ride.
- Features: Eliminate speed limits, limit your bike, and reset the ignition advance curve, which will give your bike a 5-10 mile speed boost
- Easy Installation & Removable: Easy to install without extra adjustment, just plug it in, convenient for assembly and disassemble.
- Quality Assurance: 12 months worry-free warranty.We are a professional seller for Amazon. If you are having any trouble using our product, you can contact our customer service staff and we will provide you with a solution in a timely manner.
Bestseller No. 6
Racing Ignition Coil 5 Pins AC CDI Box for GY6 4-Stroke 50cc 70cc 90cc 110cc 125cc 150cc Scooter ATV Go Kart Moped Quad Pit Dirt Bike With 3 Electrode Spark Plug
- Compatible with GY6 50cc 70cc 90cc, 110cc, 125cc, 150cc 4-stroke engines. For most motorcycle, atv, quad, scooter, go kart, moped, pit bike, dirt bike, racing bike and other bikes.
- Fit most Chinese Made Pit / Dirt bikes, almost all of the bike brands from China, such as Compatible with TaoTao, Buyang, Coolsport, Jonway, Znen, NST, BMX, Kazuma, Sunl, Roketa, AIM-EX etc.
- Racing Ignition coil surface finish: plastic;Color: Orange;Overall length:19", comes triple electrode head Spark plug.and 5 Pins AC CdI Match original equipment exactly for a perfect fit, easy to install.
- Package including 1 AC 5 Pins CDI box + 1 ignition coil + 1 spark plug
- The product is not sponsored or endorsed by ,or affiliated with the brands it fit ,including TaoTao, Buyang, Coolsport, Jonway, Znen, NST, BMX, Kazuma, Sunl, Roketa, AIM-EX .For any reason you're not completely satisfied, you can ask for a replacement or full refund, no quest
Bestseller No. 8
New High Performance Racing 6 Pins AC CDI Box + Ignition Coil + Spark Plug for Gy6 150cc 125cc 50cc Scooter Moped ATV Go Karts
- CDI Ignition Coil spark plug fit for Gy6 50cc 125cc 150cc Moped Scooter. CDI fit for the GY6 50cc, 125cc and 150cc 139QMB, 152QMI, 157QMJ based engines
- Fit for GY6 50cc 125cc 150cc 4-stroke Engines Scooters, ATVs, Go Karts, Mopeds, Quad, Pit Bikes, Dirt Bikes,gy6 139qmb 152qmi 157qmj engines
- For most motorcycle, atv, quad, scooter, go kart, moped, pit bike, dirt bike, racing bike and other bikes.
- Suitable: Fits most Chinese brands motorcycles, such as TaoTao, Buyang, Roketa, Coolsport, NST, BMX, Kazuma, Sunl, AIM-EX, Baja, Panterra, Kymco, Carroll Stream Eagle etc and various unlisted makes/models.
- Package including:1pc AC 6 pin CDI box+ 1pc high-quality ignition coil + 1pc 3 electrode spark plug
Bestseller No. 11
CDI Box and Ignition Coil Spark Plug Kit compatible with Honda FourTrax 300 TRX 300 TRX 300FW 2x4 4x4 1998 1999 2000 30400-HM5-506 30410-HM5-A11
- Compatible Models: For Honda FourTrax 300 TRX300 1998-2000 FourTrax 300 TRX300FW 1998-2000.
- Manufacturer Part Number: 30400-HM5-506
- Replacement Part：30410-HM5-A11; 30510-HM5-670
- Package: 1 x Ignition Coil, 1 x Spark Plug, 1 x CDI.
- Pre-Buy Tips and After-Sale：Please refer carefully to our applicable model numbers, pictures and OEM numbers to determine if applicable before purchasing. If you have any questions during the use and purchase process, you can contact us by email at any time, we will try our best to solve the problem for you, and we provide you with a comprehensive quality assurance.
Bestseller No. 14
30410-HC4-770 CDI Box Fits Honda ATV 300 TRX300 Fourtrax TRX300FW 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 Replace 30410 HC4 770
- Package included: 1*Voltage Regulator
- Fit： Honda TRX 300 Fourtrax -- 1988-1993 Honda TRX 300 FW Fourtrax -- 1988, 1990-1993
- Replace：OEM Number 30410-HC4-770 30410-HC4-003; 30410-HC5-970; 30410-HC5-971; 9900-5127 10027
- Performance: Help the car eliminate clutter interference, stabilize the output voltage, improve the instantaneous discharge capacity of the power system, increase the torque output.
- Tips: Please check with us if not sure about your replace number， If you have any questions we will be pleased to assist you.
Bestseller No. 15
6 Pin DC CDI Box CDI Cable Wire Adapter Connector Plug For GY6 4 Stroke 50cc 125cc 150cc Scooter Moped Taotao ATV Quad Go Kart Bike (DC-GY6)
- DC CDI Box Unit GY6 Fits Chinese 50cc, 150cc, 200cc, 250cc, 300cc ATV, Go-Karts, Mopeds Chinese brand, like Tao Tao, Buyang, SUNL, Roketa, Lifan, JCL, Kazuma, Coolsports and so on
- 2 Connectors with a 2/4 split, Capacitor discharge, Rounded dual plug, DC (not AC)
- 100% Brand New High class quality and very durable, Easy to Setup
- DIRECT CURRENT DC CDI MODULE GY6 50cc 150cc 250cc FLYSCOOTER LANCE TANK SCOOTER
- Chinese 6 pin dual plug DC CDI fits many 4-stroke models of ATVs, dirt bikes, go karts, scooters, and mopeds. Many size engines require this CDI, including 50cc to 250cc
Bestseller No. 19
CDI Box Igniter and Ignition Coil & Spark Plug For HONDA Foreman 400 1997-2003 FourTrax Foreman 400 1995 1996 TRX400FW 4x4 30410-HM7-003
- Compatible Models: For Honda FourTrax Foreman 400 TRX400FW 4x4 1995-1996 Foreman 400 TRX400FW 4x4 1997-2003.
- OEM Part Number: 30410-HM7-003, 30510-HM7-003
- Package: 1 x Ignition Coil, 1 x Spark Plug, 1 x CDI
- Tips before Purchase: Please carefully check whether your model is applicable to our products before buying. You can refer to the applicable models, pictures and OEM numbers on our page to help you determine your choice.
- After-Sales Service: If you have any questions about our products during the use and purchase process, you can contact us by email at any time, we will try our best to solve the problem for you, and we will provide comprehensive quality assurance for our products.
Bestseller No. 20
MOTO1988 Ignition Coil igniter CDI Box Compatible with Honda Foreman 450 TRX450FE 2002-2004 Honda Foreman 450 TRX450FM 2002-2004 TRX450ES 1998-2001 OEM 30410-HN0-A01
- ✿Fits the Following Models: Ignition Coil Spark Plug CDI Box Compatible with Honda, Foreman 450 TRX450FE 2002-2004, Honda Foreman 450 TRX450FM 2002-2004, Honda Foreman 450 TRX450ES 1998-2001. OEM Part Number: 30410-HN0-A01.（ Not suitable for Honda Foreman 450 TRX450S 1998-2001)
- ✿Fully compliant with standards: Our ignition coil kits are made of high-quality materials with absolute quality assurance. And our products have undergone strict quality inspections before they are sent out, so you don't need to worry about using them.
- ✿Complete Supporting Facilities: Our packaging includes not only ignition coils, but also supporting spark plugs and CDI box. You don’t need to purchase additional items when replacing them, which is convenient and applicable.
- ✿Tips: Please carefully confirm your model and whether it is within the scope of application before purchasing, please refer to the applicable type and OEM number on the page.
- ✿After-Sales Service Guarantee: If the product you receive is defective or damaged and cannot be used, you can contact us at any time. We will try our best to solve it for you. We are committed to providing customers with the highest quality products and services as our goal.
Many parts are there that primarily comprise the ignition system and all these parts are very imperative most especially when learning the way how it works with the ignition system and most of all, to answer the common question ‘what does a CDI box do?’. The major parts include the charging coil, the stator, the flywheel, the timing mark as well as the hall sensor.
We cannot deny that not all people are aware of what a CDI box do. To give you the basic understanding and knowledge of it, here is how the CDI ignition actually works. Read this to know how to bypass a CDI box.
The CDI ignition mainly starts thru generating the charge while storing it up right before sending it out to the next system’s component. When the electrical level successfully reaches the right value, it is where the current signals and then charges a spark plug, thus allowing off the excess electricity in pulses, which in the first place power the engine.
The power passes all through the capacitor. After that, it is transferred to the ignition coil, which helps in boosting the power through acting as the transformer while allowing the energy to pass through it instead of catching it. Therefore, the CDI ignition lets the engine to keep running as long as the power source has a charge.
Take note that the CDI ignition systems have a fast charging time. It powers themselves even more compared to the inductive ignition system. These power sources’ types are perfect for much smaller machines including outboard motors, chainsaws, and motorcycles. In spite of the usability that it has, a certain limit is still there to the amount of charge a capacitor mainly holds right before it burns out.
This is the main reason why it is not an ideal resource most especially on the larger vehicles and machines. Keep in mind that the faster the CDI system spins, the lesser power it exudes. This is why it cannot power either a truck or car.
How To Troubleshoot A CDI System
For those who already know the answer to the question ‘what does a CDI box do?’ they are perhaps wondering how to troubleshoot a CDI ignition system. Well, that is not a problem anymore, since there are many ways to solve the problem.
The ignition problems mainly originate within either the charging system or battery. To generate the current needed and create a spark, there is a need to make sure, that the battery should have what it takes to supply the CDI box with the full twelve-volt current. On the other hand, the battery should at the same time power the lights of the motorcycle.
If the engine of the motorcycle turns over, yet it does not start, just completely charge its battery with the use of automatic battery charger right before you check anything else. However, if the motorcycle refuses to start, there is a need to conduct various tests with a multimeter.
This is done in order to know if the CDI box has incurred any damage. The good thing is that, the factory service manuals offer testing procedures along with CDI box specifications needed by the motorcycles. Click here to know more about CDI testing and troubleshooting.
How Do You Check A CDI Box?
Start by checking the owner’s manual for CDI box in order to find the electrical resistance specs of the device. If the CDI box works properly, the ohm meter’s readings should match with the specs.
Starting from the input wire, just plug the ohm meter in. After that, simply turn over the engine where the CDI box is attached. Take note of the readings, and if they are right within the range that is listed in the manual, all you have to do is proceed in order to check the output wire. Watch this to learn how to test motorcycle box, ignition coil.
Knowing the right answer to the common question ‘what does a CDI box do’ is very important. Not only you will become aware of how it works, but you will also know other important things that are related to it. We hope that the above-written article has given you an insight about CDI box.